Thursday 15 March 2012

Haberdashery - aholic!

I think that I'm gradually becoming a bit obsessed with old haberdashery! I mostly buy it for making jewellery, but I have started buying some of it just because of the packaging. Especially the Newey brand, as there are so many different styles of packaging all the way through from the end of the 19th century to when the Birmingham based compnay closed in the late 70s or early 80s.

Here are some of my recently found treasures!

Carefully collected and sewn onto card by Grace Dow

Thanks for collecting them Grace whoever you are, I hope you'd be pleased that they'll soon be recycled into pendants and necklaces

 I got this whole box of Newey hooks and eyes in their original supplier box. I think they are late 1940s in date.

Not sure I can bring myself to cut these off the cards!

These are also Neweys and are older from the 20s or early 30s, the square card is really unusual. These won't get used for jewellery I don't think.



At the Antique Textile Fair in Manchester the other week I got these lovely mother of pearl buttons. When I got home I discovered the old French newspaper stuck on the back. Not sure of the year, but the headline is "Paix et du Pain" and talks about unrest in Berlin and Amsterdam.

I've already made some of these into earrings



3 comments:

  1. Delighted to have discovered your lovely blog via twitter. Inspired by your wonderful artistry, it is brilliant to discover a jeweller whose work is so utterly original and beautiful! I am just starting out after having 4 kids pretty young, so it is great being inspired by jewellers much further down the line than me.

    Also interesting you lived in Sicily, I have wanted to visit for years and finally am this summer! Belinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda for your lovely comments about my jewellery - I do love making it! It's taken me a long time to get as far as this and last week I got an order from the V&A in London and I'm so pleased that the years of hard work are starting to pay off. Good luck with your work and enjoy Sicily...it's wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Nice post thanks for sharing with me it is really very helpful thanks for this.

    http://www.diamondsafe.com

    ReplyDelete